UK-EU Customs

UK export procedures for ro-ro traffic

Leaving the EU customs union means all cross-border movements of freight between the UK and EU will be subject to customs procedures. It is the repsonsibility of the exporter to provide these documents, but the haulier must be aware of and control these documents on the international journey. The basic process is:

  • The exporter (or their agent) submits an export declaration to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) via Government Gateway software onto CHIEF/CDS customs systems. The country of origin and destination is required for successfull submission.
  • If the goods are high risk, or animal/plants/other controlled products, they may require further documentation (e.g., special licences and certificates). On entry to the EU, these goods may be subject to further checks; different EU countries may impose different requirements at their ports, and hauliers and exporters should familiarise themselves with these new processes. The following link contains guidance on UK and EU procedures.

How Do I export to EU after Brexit? 





...If you're an FTA Member and you can't find the question you're looking for, get in touch with our Member Advice Centre and fill in the Member Brexit Query Form here.

Queries will be processed during office hours.