FTA has been working closely with Welsh Freight Council Members for over a decade to reduce the cost of tolls on the Severn Bridges
In July 2017, Alun Cairnes (Secretary of State for Wales) announced that all tolls and charges will be scrapped on the bridges by the end of 2018 – A major win for FTA and its members. In a DFT follow up announcement in September it was confirmed that the current administrative arrange with Concessionaire, Severn River Crossing PLC will end on the 8th January 2018 when responsibility for the two bridges will go to Highways England.
What is FTA campaigning for?
There is still work to do however, including:
- Clarification from the UK Government of an end date in 2018
- Confirmation of what administration arrangements will apply on TAG deposits once the outstanding debt is paid off and all charges are removed
- Clarification from DfT regarding who pays for outstanding resurfacing works on the bridges (users of Highways England)
- A commitment from UK Government that charges will not be reinstated at a future date particularly given that businesses now see South Wales as a place to invest
- Confirmation from the Welsh Government that talks regarding ownership of the Severn Bridges does not result in charges being reinstated
Find out more
Assignment of Tag Accounts to Highways England
Severn Bridge Update 2018
Highways England - Severn Bridges