Vehicle registration and purchasing

A vehicle which is used on the roads must in all but a few cases be registered. This involves the identification of the vehicle through a unique registration mark. The owner of the vehicle must provide DVLA with details of the vehicle and its keepers, and they in turn will issue a registration document or certificate which confirms that the registration has been effected. A registration document or certificate (V5C) shows the registered keeper of a vehicle. The registered keeper is the person who keeps the vehicle on a public road and it is important to note that this does not have to be the legal owner.

Information on the topics below is available to FTA members by clicking on any available links or by downloading the Vehicle registration chapter of the Yearbook of Road Transport Law

  • Applying for a V5C
  • Registration of vehicles using a V55/1 or V55/2
  • Registering your vehicle using a V55/4 or V55/5
  • Continuous registration
  • Change of ownership
  • Change of address or name
  • Selling your vehicle to the motor trade
  • Registration numbers and plates
  • Registration of number plate suppliers
  • Supplier registration fee
  • Format
  • Release of information

Need more information?

If you are an FTA member and have a query regarding this topic, or need more information, contact our Member Advice Centre

Member Advice Centre