Model Conditions of Carriage and Storage
What are the FTA Model Conditions of Carriage?
FTA's Model Conditions of Carriage articulate the agreement between the carrier and the customer for movement of goods, setting out the rules of operation for both parties and remove the need to incur high legal costs by drafting their own.
The Conditions of Carriage identify the interests of the customer, and are drafted to protect the carrier. The conditions also define clear areas of responsibility for both parties, and cover all modes of transport, including road, rail, air and sea. They can be varied to suit both parties' needs.
FTA Conditions of Carriage are approved by the users and providers of freight transport as well as by the insurers of companies involved in the movement of goods.
We've updated our Conditions of Carriage, endorsed by the insurance industry, for 2018, to strike a balance between the carrier and customer by reflecting the commercial interests of both parties.
Fully revised the conditions are unique in being available to all UK operators and in a break from the past, you do not need to be an FTA Member to use them.
Why adopt FTA's Conditions?
- Approved by users, providers and insurers including NMU, AXA and Royal Sun Alliance (RSA)
- Cover all modes of transport
- Has been updated to reflect current Dangerous Goods regulations
- Can help to reduce the cost of your Goods in Transit insurance premium
- Provides for the carrier's liability at £1,300 per tonne on the gross weight of goods lost
- Encourage dispute resolution outside of court
What's contained in the Conditions?
- A balanced contract that ensures both parties have clear areas of responsibility
- Recognise the sensitive nature of the carriage of dangerous goods and makes it clear that the carrier will not subcontract carriage of such goods unless expressly authorised in writing by the customer
- Provides flexibility to allow carrier to assist in loading and unloading while stating who is responsible should an incident occur
- There is an emphasis to demonstrate best endeavours to obtaining proof delivery
- Recognise the costs that the parties can incur if involved in civil proceedings in the court and offer Alternative Dispute Resolution procedures as an alternative
- A one year limit is applied to ensure disputes are resolved quickly
Please click below to fill out a short form to download your copy of the Conditions of Carriage.
FTA Model conditions of Carriage and Storage Form