Industry invited to FTA Freight by Water Conference 2011
Monday 17 January 2011
The FTA Freight by Water Conference, which will take place in Bristol on 16 March, is a complimentary event aimed at raising awareness of the capabilities of water-based services and promoting increased use of UK waterways, coastal routes and short sea shipping for the transportation of freight.
Freight by Water, which is now part of the Freight Transport Association, is the UK’s official Short Sea Promotion Centre and has worked, since its creation in 2003, to enhance the use of inland waterways, short sea and coastal shipping for freight. It has done this through information provision in the form of a website and a database of water freight services, and through events aimed at raising awareness of the capabilities of water-based services.
The conference will include a series of presentations by industry experts together with panel discussions, and will include best practice advice illustrated through real life case studies. Industry experts will provide an insight into the latest ideas and explore the challenges and benefits of water freight in the delivery of safe, efficient and sustainable transport networks.
The conference will cover a wide variety of issues, including:
- Bristol’s fast developing role as a gateway port for the UK
- The River Severn as a key artery for the movement of freight
- A presentation on Sharpness Dock at the head of the Bristol Channel
- Helpful hints and tools for evaluating modal choice options
- Managing the trade-offs between lowest cost of production and best practice in logistics
- The challenges of funding and developing new port infrastructure
- Recognising the importance of landside logistics operations
- Key low carbon energy opportunities in the South West region and the potential role of ports
- Case studies – the importance of port selection and costs, service and environmental benefits
The event provides an ideal opportunity for exporters, importers, carriers, barge operators, port and terminal operators, freight forwarders and logistics service providers, local authorities and development agencies to discuss the challenges and network with like-minded individuals.
The FTA Freight by Water Conference 2011 takes place at Burges Salmon, One Glass Wharf, Bristol BS2 0ZX on Wednesday 16 March and complimentary places are available on a first come, first served basis, by completing the online booking form at Events calling 08717 11 22 22, or emailing email@example.com
The FTA Freight by Water Conference is sponsored by Burges Salmon.
FTA Press Office