Back to training
This course provides operatives with training and techniques required to safely move heavy goods vehicles around a company’s premises and other off-road parking areas (i.e. closed to the public). Delegates are taught best practice skills to ensure the safety of yard personnel and prevent damage to vehicles and property in the immediate vicinity.
Who should attend?
- Shunting staff – delegates on this course must at least hold a category B driving licence
Benefits of attending
- Improve awareness of risks unique to depot environments
- Increase safety by understanding the correct coupling/uncoupling procedures
- Vehicle familiarisation and pre-use inspections
- Correct coupling and uncoupling of articulated/drawbar combinations
- Hand signals to be used for assisting drivers in manoeuvring vehicles
- Practice manoeuvring the vehicles onto loading bays or parking areas
- Safe parking procedures
- Health and safety
The vehicle provided must meet the required standards in respect of PUWER: it should be suitable for the intended purpose and adequately maintained to ensure safety. A safe area of the yard should be designated for the training.
- 1–4 days dependent on type of vehicle, delegate numbers and experience. The table below is indicative. A ‘novice’ is a delegate who has no previous yard shunting experience. If you are unsure, one of our technical instructors will be happy to help
- Maximum 4 delegates
Price includes tuition, course handouts and certification.
This course is ONLY available on an in-company basis. For more information please email email@example.com or call 03717 11 22 22.