Helping water freight deliver
Water freight is a crucial sector of UK logistics, and the UK has excellent port capacity and facilities. However this is not always matched by inland connections, both for road and rail. FTA is campaigning for world-class multimodal port connections to ensure goods move seamlessly and quickly to and from overseas markets.
The UK also has capacity for more goods to be moved by coastal shipping and inland waterways, which already account for 15% of UK domestic freight. With more effective government support to promote modal shift, and policy frameworks that protect and expand our inland waterway freight infrastructure, these modes could grow even further and reduce pressure on our congested roads.
FTA represents businesses across the maritime sector including Ports, Short Sea Shipping lines, as well as Coastal and Inland Waterway operators. We also represent shippers who rely on water freight to move their goods as well as road and rail operators, 3PLs and Forwarders who connect the maritime logistics network.
FTA is campaigning on the foremost sector issues such as:
- improving inland connections to ports (road, rail and inland waterways);
- campaigning for more effective government support to increase modal shift to maritime;
- ensuring water freight is supported through government policy (e.g. planning rules and financial incentives);
- advising government and members safety and cargo security;
- making best use of our coastal and inland waterway sectors which account for 13% of UK freight movements.